BRGY. SECRETARY & TREASURER:
CHILD DEVELOPMENT WORKER:
Many people of Barangay Libtong believe that Libtong got its name from a mysterious lake that lies in the south-eastern side of the barangay. According to a story that had been told to them by their ancestors, there was, once upon a time, a tribe in this place who lived with many beliefs. One of the beliefs was that during feasts, all villagers should wear clothes with the same color with that of their chieftain, otherwise, something terrible will happen to them. One day, a wedding was being celebrated in the village of which the bride is the chieftain’s daughter. The couple and the chieftain were in red clothes so with the village people except for one boy who wore another color. During the celebration, the village people heard a loud and sharp cry of dog. The people saw the dog crying and digging under the chieftain’s hut. The villagers were surprised to see that water was coming out from the hole that was dug by the dog. The water was coming out stronger until the village was flooded. The people ran for higher grounds but it was too late, the place where the wedding took place instantly became a lake drowning to death all the villagers. People around the place believed that this was the consequence of the belief that was broken. “Nailibsongda” as they considered it until the place was referred to as “Libsong” and later on pronounced as “Libtong”.
This famous “lake that never leaks” covers an area of more than a hectare. During the past decades, the water does not lessen during summer neither it overflows during rainy season. At present, effects of nature and human may have been causing loses of its grandeur; of which the municipal local government unit and local residents are trying their best to preserve it beauty for tourism purposes. There was a time during the early Marcos Regime that this lake was named “Imelda Lake” in honor of the former First Lady Imelda R. Marcos purposely to invite the government to share funds for its development, but it vain.
Libtong was one of the first barrios to comprise the Municipal District of Burgos in January 26, 1926 by virtue of Executive Order No. 54 issued by the Governor General Leonard Wood in 1927. Then Paulo Estacion, a respected elder of the place, was designated as the first “teniente del barrio” of Libtong.
Bounded on the East by Palali, Sablan, Benguet; on the West by Bayating, Naguilian, La Union; on the South by Angkaway, Naguilian, La Union; and on the North by Agpay, Burgos, La Union, Libtong occupies an area of 215.2903 hectares. It has a population of 640 (in 2015)
Seven sitios lie in this barangay, namely; Kimmalugong, as called by the old folds because of its hat-like shape when viewed from a distance; Dau, near the Dau Creek; Centro/Abagatan, where the Barangay Hall and Plaza are located; Amianan, it the northern portion of the barangay; Hilltop, located at the top of the hill; and Lubas, as called by the Igorots who lived in this sitio.
Libtong could be reached through a barangay road from Palali, Sablan, Benguet with a distance of 4.5 kilometers and through New Poblacion-Agpay-Libtong Barangay Road with a distance of about 5.0 kilometers. The climate is temperately hot.
Residents of Libtong are predominantly Ilocanos who traced their ancestors from Aringay and Naguilian, La Union.
Most residents get their income from farming. Palay is their crop while they also plant root crops and some highland vegetables and tiger grass. Some are also employed as construction workers, truck or jeepney drivers and other skilled works.
One could enjoy the ride to this barangay from New Poblacion not only because of the concreted road but also of the panoramic view and the fresh field air.